AMI bailout cost doubles

ROB O'NEILL
Last updated 05:00 25/11/2012

Relevant offers

National business

Christchurch's Lancaster Park 'uneconomic to repair' 'This is going to be a thing we laugh at one day': Sydney man's house mistakenly demolished, neighbour's house still standing News Corp's Rupert Murdoch cleared to buy Australian APN newspapers Bill English HYEFU gets gold star Bill English gives financial update, says reducing debt and earthquake recovery more important than tax cuts Liquidators find $9m in suspected ponzi but 'substantial funds' transferred IRD mortgages for the elderly, and other things Gareth Morgan has planned Reduced ACC levies on vehicles welcomed, rubbished Genevieve Toop: Farmers filming themselves drinking water from their streams are playing a game of Russian roulette New operator for Rolleston inland port promises fewer trucks through city

The bailout of failed Christchurch insurer AMI will cost the taxpayer more than double the amount estimated in March after the sale of the company's assets and brand to Australian insurance giant IAG.

According to Southern Response, the company set up by the Government to administer AMI's Christchurch earthquake liabilities, the Government's total claim exposure is now $1.934 billion after EQC contributions, up from an estimated $1.8b.

Subtract from that the $1.3b AMI had in re-insurance cover and the $380 million received from the sale to IAG and that leaves a rump of $254m for the taxpayer to pay, up from the $120m March estimate.

Peter Rose, chief executive of Southern Response, said there were many reasons for the increase but the Christchurch Earthquake Recovery Authority's final definition of the Green Zone in which rebuilding is allowed was a significant contributor to the extra costs.

Green Zone land was broken into three categories with different foundation requirements.

Rose said Technical Category 3, in which moderate to significant land damage from liquefaction is possible in future large earthquakes, has pushed up the cost of house foundations.

While there remains uncertainty about the final earthquake cost, Rose said he felt the number is now stabilising. In March, only around 80 per cent of assessments had been completed, but now that sits at around 99 per cent with a trickle of new claims still coming through.

He said there is a significant risk margin in the figures.

One danger area for further cost escalation would be inflation in the cost of building, but so far, such costs have been kept within estimates, he said.

Rose said Southern Response will be wound up when all exposures have been addressed. He estimated the company would exist for about four years.

Ad Feedback

- Sunday Star Times

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content