Will the real Slim Shady please come to New Zealand? Oh wait, he is!
Hip-hop icon Eminem, 41, will perform his first ever New Zealand concert at Western Springs in Auckland in 2014.
He'll perform during Rapture on Saturday February 15th. The concert, curated by the legendary rapper, will also feature Kendrick Lamar, J Cole and David Dallas.
Hip hop fans need to get their mouse-clicking fingers ready for 10am on Thursday October 31, which is when tickets go on sale.
Here are five reasons we're excited about Eminem coming:
1. Modesty eludes most musicians, and Eminem is no exception: he calls himself a deity in his brand new single Rap God. But, to be fair, he's got the goods to back up the big call - the new song has lightning fast lyrics, Eminem raps about four words per second in parts. Try to sing along - it's basically impossible.
2. Speaking of modesty, it's certainly not something Kanye West possesses, but even Yeezy loves Marshall Bruce Mathers III - "Nobody's going to be bigger than Eminem," the rapper told Hot 97 back in 2010. Lupe Fiasco is also a fan, telling Freestyle that Slim Shady is the one man he can't battle: "I can't **** with Eminem, but I got everybody else covered."
3. His rap is smart: he's known for using metaphors, word play, fitting loads of rhymes in just one bar and generally being a very creative writer.
Here's a 15 second - yep, he gets it all out in just 15 seconds - excerpt from his latest single Rap God:
"Uh, sama lamaa duma lamaa you assuming I'm a human
What I gotta do to get it through to you I'm superhuman
Innovative and I'm made of rubber
So that anything you say is ricocheting off of me and it'll glue to you
I'm never stating, more than ever demonstrating
How to give a motherf---in' audience a feeling like it's levitating
Never fading, and I know the haters are forever waiting
For the day that they can say I fell off, they'd be celebrating
Cause I know the way to get 'em motivated
I make elevating music."
4. Umm he's just a plain legend: according to Nielsen SoundScan he's the best-selling artist of the 2000s decade; Rolling Stone has dubbed him 'The King Of Hip Hop"; he's released 10 number one albums and won 13 Grammy Awards as well as an Academy Award for best original song.
5. This video lays out just how talented Eminem is - calling his lyrics "the most efficient use of rhyming in rap history" - head straight to the three minute mark ...
- © Fairfax NZ News
Do you agree with the city council's cut back on meals?Related story: Shadbolt bemused by 'prince of gluttony' tag