Five awesome Rainbow Loom designs
In the era of iPad dexterity among those not yet old enough to sort out the act of going to the bathroom on their own, a surprisingly screen-free toy and craft trend is taking off in a big way: coloured rubber bands called Rainbow Looms.
Playgrounds, living rooms (and subsequently vacuum cleaner bags) across New Zealand are being overtaken by these colourful elastics. Even the Duchess of Cambridge sported a Rainbow Loom bracelet while in Christchurch, how fetch.
Rainbow Loom bands are the 'it' toys and crafts for kids at the moment, and they were invented by a Malaysian-born former seatbelt technology developer from Michigan. He noticed his daughters weaving elastic bands over their fingers to make friendship bracelets and so he built a 'loom' - just like those the clothing industry have been using since the 15th century - so that his daughters could achieve more intricate patterns.
He then developed a cheaper, more portable plastic version. It sold out within a few hours when first released to toy stores, et voila, a craze was born (and, most likely, a millionaire). In fact tweens and pre-tweens are so passionate about their rubber designs that schools across the US and Australia have had to ban loom bracelets in schools to curb underground markets and one-upmanship.
While bracelets are the most popular loom designs, they're not the only option: here are the five coolest loom creations the internet has to offer.
1. A rubber Iggy Azalea - 'I'm so fancy ...'
2. Snakes - a perfect project for the boy loomer
3. A santa hat - best get started on this project now
4. Barefoot sandals - not seasonal, granted, but perfect for NZ where we seem insistent upon a continual pooh-poohing of actual shoes
5. This 'advanced loomers' bracelet. Colour choice permitting this is a loom design even those of us too old to know any Ariana Grande songs off by heart could proudly wear:
Oh, but not everybody loves them ...
Viewing on mobile? Scroll down and head to our desktop site to see the loom-tastic videos.