Your favourite family recipesShare your stories, photos and videos.
Eggs aren't just for brekkie - they can also form the basis for a simple, hearty evening meal.
Use quality free-range or organic eggs and you'll taste the difference - as well as see the difference in the way the yolks hold.
|1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil|
|2 small red onions, finely sliced|
|2 large red capsicums, cut into 1-2cm pieces|
|2 cloves garlic, finely chopped|
|1 small red chilli, finely sliced|
|1 tbsp sun-dried tomato pesto|
|2 large ripe tomatoes, seeds removed, chopped|
|1 tsp caster sugar|
|1 tbsp white wine vinegar|
|small handful black olives, stones removed, cut in half|
|small handful basil leaves, torn|
|sea salt and freshly ground black pepper|
|1 chorizo sausage, thinly sliced
|5 whole eggs|
|extra virgin olive oil, to drizzle|
|2 tbsp oregano leaves|
|1. Heat oil in a small frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and the capsicum, and cook for 3-5 minutes until softened. Stir in the garlic and chilli and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant.
2. Add the pesto, chopped tomatoes, sugar and vinegar and cook covered on low heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring regularly, until mixture has broken down and liquid has reduced. Stir through the olives and basil and check the seasoning.
3. Cook the chorizo slices in a little olive oil in a non-stick pan until lightly golden on both sides. Set aside. Reserve the oil the chorizo has been cooked in and set aside.
4. Place chorizo slices in capsicum mixture and, using the back of a spoon, dig 5 hollows. Crack the eggs into each hollow, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with oregano leaves.
5. Cook covered over a low heat for 8-10 minutes or until eggs are cooked just the way you like them.
6. Drizzle the reserved chorizo-flavoured oil over the top and mop up the pan juices with crusty bread.
- Good Food
2010 marks 150 years since the formation of the first militia units in Southland and Otago.
We remember those who have served their country
Take a look back at the devastating 1984 floods in the south