Food & Wine
When the weather starts to warm up, I always want to eat lighter food, and this combination of nutty brown rice, infused with lemony sumac vinaigrette, is the kind of thing I crave. It's a classic salad Nicoise with a Middle Eastern twist.
NEED TO KNOW
|Type of dish||Salad|
|Cooking time||<30 min|
|Special options||Low fat|
When you want flavour fast, sumac is the secret.
TUNA, RICE AND GREEN BEAN SALAD WITH EGGS
|50ml of extra-virgin olive oil|
|20ml of sherry vinegar|
|1/2 lemon, juiced|
|1 1/2 Tbsp ground sumac|
|1 1/2 cups brown rice
|Salt and freshly ground black pepper|
|185g tin good-quality tuna in oil, drained|
|2 large handfuls of green beans
|10 flat-leaf parsley leaves, very finely sliced|
|3 sprigs mint, roughly chopped|
|2 spring onions, finely sliced|
|3 soft-boiled eggs, shelled and torn (or cut) in half, warm|
|3 Tbsp pine nuts, toasted|
1. Boil rice in salted water for 25 minutes and then drain.
2. Trim and split the beans lengthways, then cook in lightly salted boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain and keep warm.
3. Whisk together the oil, vinegar, lemon juice and sumac to create a dressing. Reserve 1-2 tablespoons of dressing and pour the rest over the rice while it's warm. Toss, then season with salt and pepper.
4. Stir tuna through the rice and transfer to a serving plate.
5. In another bowl, mix beans with herbs and spring onions and reserved dressing. Scatter the bean mix over the rice, then the egg halves and pine nuts and serve.
- Daily Life