Family home badly hit by fire
A fire ravaged a house in Gore during the weekend while the owners were away.
Fire southern communications shift manager Andrew Norris said Gore and Mataura fire brigades responded to a call from a neighbour of the Norton St property about 4.40pm on Saturday.
Emergency services raced to the scene but found the house well alight on arrival, he said.
Crews remained there well into the evening dampening down hot spots, he said.
The cause of the fire was not apparent and fire investigator Michael Harrison, of Dunedin, who spent yesterday at the house said it was hard to determine.
The family who lived there were in shock about the fire and did not wish to comment, he said.
- The Southland Times
Should April Miller be allowed to play in the presidents grade rugby competition?Related story: Southland woman banned from men's rugby side
Subscribe to a digital replica of The Southland Times.
Southland Times subscriber news and information.
Click here for information about advertising with The Southland Times.