Leaky heater starts Invercargill house fire

NEIL RATLEY
Last updated 10:54 04/07/2014

Relevant offers

An Invercargill couple were left with a smoke-filled lounge and kitchen after a diesel heater caught alight.

It was believed a faulty heater was to blame for the fire at the Regent St home yesterday, with Kingswell station officer Graeme Gilroy saying diesel began leaking from the heater and ignited, filling the lounge with smoke.

The male occupant of the house attacked the fire with a dry powder fire extinguisher. However, after safely having a good go at the fire, the home extinguisher ran out, Gilroy said.

The timely arrival of two fire crews helped save the day.

''Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire and help the occupants out of the smoke-filled lounge and kitchen,'' Gilroy said.

He praised the actions of the home owners: ''They did everything right and had working smoke alarms and an extinguisher on hand.''

Ad Feedback

- The Southland Times

Comments

Special offers
Opinion poll

Are you an organ donor?

Yes

No, because it's against my religious beliefs

No, because I choose not to be

Vote Result

Related story: Editorial: Sometimes, a single word can save a life

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

Social Media
The Southland Times on Facebook

Subscribe to a digital replica of The Southland Times.

Digital edition

Subscribe to a digital replica of The Southland Times.

Click here to read our free community newspapers from around the region.

Community newspapers

Click here to read our free community newspapers from around the region online.

Southland Times subscriber news and information.

Subscriber services

Southland Times subscriber news and information.

Click here for information about advertising with The Southland Times.

Advertise

Click here for information about advertising with The Southland Times.