Queenstown chef's death 'accidental OD'
GRANT BRYANT IN QUEENSTOWN
An Arrowtown chef, addicted to opiates for back pain, died from an accidental overdose.
Christchurch coroner Richard McElrea has found the death of Nils Scott was accidental, and occurred after Scott left work at an Arrowtown bakery at 11am on December 6, last year, to gather herbs from a garden plot on his property.
''Nils Scott was overweight and suffering from back pain. He had recently told his partner that he had become addicted to opiate-type drugs,'' McElrea found.
''Evidence from witnesses interviewed by police is that Nils Scott appeared to be addicted to opiate drugs and would frequently access them.''
When Scott did not return to work, a co-worker went looking for him and found him dead at his home.
Ambulance officers were unable to revive him and the 30-year-old was declared dead at the scene. at the scene.
McElrea found that Scott had illicit access to and processed the prescription medicine mylan fentanyl, which resulted in his death.
- The Southland Times
Should April Miller be allowed to play in the presidents grade rugby competition?Related story: Southland woman banned from men's rugby side
Subscribe to a digital replica of The Southland Times.
Southland Times subscriber news and information.
Click here for information about advertising with The Southland Times.