The Invercargill fire service has been called to a house fire on Tweed St.
Southern fire communications shift manager Brent Dunn said the service was called at 8.15pm to the house fire near Conon St.
The fire was in the roof void and smoke was showing from the eaves, he said.
Fire engines from the Invercargill and Kingswell stations attended.
Invercargill station officer Greg Koppert said the occupants in the Tweed St house were alerted to the fire by passing motorists.
Some hot ashes had been placed in a plastic container and put against the outside wall of the house. It caught fire and spread into the ceiling cavity in an attached laundry, he said.
Three engines attended.
Tonight, the fire service was also called to clear a smoke-logged house in Rowan St, Hargest.
The house was full of smoke and it appeared to be coming from a chimney with a blocked flu, he said.
The occupant was out of the house, Dunn said.
- The Southland Times
Should April Miller be allowed to play in the presidents grade rugby competition?Related story: Southland woman banned from men's rugby side
Subscribe to a digital replica of The Southland Times.
Southland Times subscriber news and information.
Click here for information about advertising with The Southland Times.