Casino's neon sign bursts into flames
All bets were off - briefly - yesterday when a neon Skycity casino sign burst into flames in Queenstown.
Volunteer firefighters were called to the entrance of Stratton House in Beach St when the sign burst into flames and a small fire started in the entrance porch roof shortly after noon.
Skycity staff stopped passers-by from entering the arcade, which leads to the casino, restaurants and stores in O'Connell's mall, while firefighters doused the light.
Fire Service investigator Stu Ide said a preliminary investigation established the fire appeared to be electrical.
The sign was in place for about eight years and a thorough examination would be done today, he said.
"It's possible it's a crack in the neon; maybe somebody has thrown something and it's been arcing. It appears to be electrical."
Ide plans to meet the Skycity maintenance manager today to inspect the light.
The Southland Times