Southland reclaims swampy land for grounds
From our archives: APRIL 1908
150 stories in 150 days
Today's headquarters ground of the Rugby Southland Football Union was officially opened on April 28, 1908, and Pirates beat Invercargill 5-nil in the first game played there.
It was initially known as the Eastend Ground but within a few weeks was named Rugby Park. The name changed to Homestead Stadium around 1988.
- © Fairfax NZ News