Stream bacteria could be dangerous to children, dogs

Last updated 23:42 14/03/2008

Relevant offers

Pet owners and parents beware.

A bacteria which has been found in a small waterway at the back of the Waikiwi Rugby Clubrooms on Bainfield Rd in Invercargill has been found to contain a bacteria which could be dangerous to animals and small children.

Environment Southland senior technical officer Graeme McKenzie said last night a discolouration of water contained within a small ditch to the north of the clubrooms was noticed about a week ago.

After investigation it was found to be Cyano Bacteria, a natural occurring bacteria which has the potential to release toxins that may be harmful to small children and pets. "With the naturally low flows (of water) and warmer temperature we have been experiencing, it's ideal conditions that allow it (the bacteria) to bloom."

Ad Feedback

- The Southland Times

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

Social Media
The Southland Times on Facebook

Subscribe to a digital replica of The Southland Times.

Digital edition

Subscribe to a digital replica of The Southland Times.

Click here to read our free community newspapers from around the region.

Community newspapers

Click here to read our free community newspapers from around the region online.

Southland Times subscriber news and information.

Subscriber services

Southland Times subscriber news and information.

Click here for information about advertising with The Southland Times.

Advertise

Click here for information about advertising with The Southland Times.