Sewerage filing due next year

21:37, Jul 18 2011

A resource consent for Te Anau's new sewage scheme is expected to be filed next year.

Southland District Council water and waste asset manager Ian Evans said while background information was still being gathered for the consent, it was likely to be filed some time early next year.

The public would be kept up to date with the plans in the meantime, he said.

There had been ongoing discussions with the community about the new system during the past five or six years, but it was always a good idea to keep the community informed, he said.

A "reasonably comprehensive" communications effort would continue with each milestone of the project, with press releases to be circulated and public meetings to be held in the lead-up to the scheme's development, Mr Evans said.

However, he was reluctant to put a figure on how much the proposed scheme was likely to cost, as those details had not yet been finalised.

Advertisement

The council is required to develop a long-term sewage treatment scheme for Te Anau under its existing consent from Environment Southland, which expires in 2014.

The area's existing scheme discharges into the Upukerora River, which then discharges into Lake Te Anau.

But the district council needed to develop a long-term sewage treatment scheme under its consent conditions, so the decision had been made to discharge to land.

Since late 2008, the council had been working to gather information required to lodge resource consent applications to build the new system on land in the Kepler Block, near the Te Anau-Manapouri Airport, and had held public meetings to explain plans for the scheme, Mr Evans said.

The Southland Times