A toddler pulled from a house fire in Invercargill this morning remains in a critical condition and has been flown to Starship Hospital in Auckland for skin grafts.
St John communications and promotions coordinator South Island region Alena Lynch said the three-year-old boy was taken to Southland Hospital in a critical condition this morning, after suffering life-threatening smoke inhalation during the Teviot St blaze.
Three adults were also taken to the hospital after the blaze, two with minor smoke inhalation and a third with a minor cut possibly requiring stitches, she said.
Invercargill Fire Brigade senior station officer Alan Goldsworthy said firefighers were called at 8.10am and when they arrived smoke was billowing from the house.
A firefighter pulled the boy out of the house.
''From when we arrived we would have had the child out well within five minutes...it felt like ages but it was probably only a couple of minutes or so,'' Mr Goldsworthy said.
One of the occupants Brendon Wilson, 16, said he woke up and thought the lounge light was on.
''Then I felt a flickering and there were flames coming through the door,'' he said.
The fire caused significant damage to the north end of the house and a fire safety investigation has started.
Four fire trucks, ambulance and police were called to the fire.
- The Southland Times
Should April Miller be allowed to play in the presidents grade rugby competition?Related story: Southland woman banned from men's rugby side
Subscribe to a digital replica of The Southland Times.
Southland Times subscriber news and information.
Click here for information about advertising with The Southland Times.