Fire destroys garage
Firefighters spent just under three hours battling a garage fire near Ranfurly during the early hours of this morning.
A St John communications spokesman said two people were treated for smoke inhalation at the scene.
Ranfurly chief fire officer James Hazlett said emergency services were called to the property, on State Highway 87 at Kokonga, just before 1.30am.
Upon arrival, they found the garage fire was well-involved and threatening another garage and a nearby house, Mr Hazlett said.
The weather had possibly helped the fire spread, he said. ``It was quite a windy night. The wind probably helped chase the fire through the garage and helped it spread a bit.''
The garage was destroyed in the blaze and there was some fire damage to the other lean-to garage, but the home was not damaged, Mr Hazlett said.
Appliances from Ranfurly and Naseby, and a rural fire tanker, attended, and remained at the scene until about 4am, he said.
The fire was believed to have been electrical.
``There were several freezers in the garage and we've traced some electrical wiring and that's been arched out,'' he said.
Initially firefighters were unable to find the occupants of the property, who had taken their pack of pig dogs down the property away from the house, he said.
When firefighters did find them, they realised the occupants had suffered smoke inhalation, and called an ambulance, he said.
- The Southland Times
Should April Miller be allowed to play in the presidents grade rugby competition?Related story: Southland woman banned from men's rugby side
Subscribe to a digital replica of The Southland Times.
Southland Times subscriber news and information.
Click here for information about advertising with The Southland Times.