Collision kills cyclist

01:43, Jan 31 2009
GRIM INSPECTION: Serious crash investigator Senior Constable Ken Patterson examining the bike involved in a fatal crash at the intersection of Tay and Lindisfarne streets yesterday

A Southland stalwart died yesterday after being hit by a car while he was doing what he loved — cycling.

Police had not officially released the man's name last night but The Southland Times understands he was Invercargill man Noel Eade.

The crash was the second major incident Mr Eade had been involved in during the past 14 months. He was one of five cyclists injured after being hit by a truck which drove through the intersection of Grove Bush-Woodlands Rd and Rakahouka-Hedgehope Rd on September 8 last year. On that occasion he was taken to Dunedin Hospital's intensive care unit after suffering badly cracked ribs which collapsed on to his lung.

Senior Sergeant Richard McPhail said yesterday's crash occurred about 5pm at the intersection of Tay and Lindisfarne streets after a Daihatsu four-wheel-drive driven east on Tay St by a 22-year-old woman and the 61-year-old cyclist heading north on Lindisfarne St collided.

The cyclist was taken by ambulance to Southland Hospital but died a short time later from his injuries, Mr McPhail said. The female was shaken but unhurt.

Traffic at the intersection was heavy at the time of the crash and a diversion was put in place by emergency services.


The road was closed for about one and a half hours while serious crash investigators examined the scene.

Investigators would look at all factors, including traffic light sequences that preceded the crash, and police had also interviewed several witnesses, he said.

He appealed to anyone who had seen the crash, including a cyclist who might have ridden through the intersection just after the collision to contact police.

One man who spoke with The Southland Times said he had been travelling near the traffic lights when he saw a shower of glass.

"I just saw this explosion (of glass)," he said. He stayed with the cyclist until the ambulance arrived, he said.

News of yesterday's incident has shattered the region's cycling fraternity.

Long-time friend Ray Robinson said his friend would be sorely missed.

"The only consoling bit is that he died doing something he loved," he said.

Another friend and fellow cycling enthusiast Tony Ineson said Mr Eade was a "hell of a nice guy" who lived for his sport.

"It's a bit shattering to hear something like this," he said.

Cycling Southland president Steve Canny said Mr Eade loved cycling and had been a great contributor to the region's cycling.

"It's a huge blow to the cycling fraternity ... We are very saddened by what's happened," he said.

Cycling Southland would do what it could to honour Mr Eade in an appropriate way, he said.