Four Invercargill teens face raft of charges
GRANT BRYANT IN QUEENSTOWN
Four Invercargill teens are facing charges or Youth Aid referrals in Queenstown after an alleged burglary and car theft dash in a weapons-laden vehicle around most of the lower South Island.
Sergeant Steve Watt, of Queenstown, said the teens, a couple both aged 18, and another couple – a male aged 16 and his 18-year-old girlfriend – were stopped by police after trying to evade a patrol about 1.30am today.
The teen's saga and the raft of charges they are now facing unfolded after questioning.
''The couple both aged 18 had been employed on a Ashburton dairy farm for one week when allegedly they decided to go to another worker's accommodation, commit a burglary, steal his car, drive to Invercargill to pick up some mates and then ended up in Queenstown,'' Mr Watt said.
The car was loaded with machetes and knives, which added possession of offensive weapons to charges that include burglary, unlawful taking of a motor vehicle, obstruction, driving while disqualified, attempting to evade police and failing to answer district court bail conditions.
When appearing before Judge Kevin Phillips in the Queenstown District Court this morning, Brendan Paul Wilson and Janelle Savage both 18, were both remanded to appear in the Invercargill District Court.
Judge Phillips said Savage had failed to appear at an early August sentencing hearing in Invercargill.
When appearing in the dock, Wilson was immediately told to unfold his arms and ''wipe that smile off your face.''
He had not turned up to a Christchurch status hearing and was described by Judge Phillips as ''being on the run from the Christchurch Court.''
Wilson will appear in the Invercargill District Court tomorrow and Savage will appear on Friday.
- © Fairfax NZ News
Check out what's on in your community or post an upcoming event.
Subscribe to a digital replica of The Southland Times.
Southland Times subscriber news and information.
Click here for information about advertising with The Southland Times.