Linseed oil rag cause of Gore fire
A discarded rag soaked with linseed oil was the cause of a fire at Gore High School on Friday night, which caused moderate heat and smoke damage to the metal workshop in the school's technical block.
Gore Fire Brigade chief fire officer Steve Lee said a fire safety investigation had been done and the cause of the fire was a rag with linseed oil, which had generated head and ignited a cabinet and tool box close by.
A caretaker phoned 111 at 9.48pm and two appliances responded. Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the building and contained the fire, he said.
Crews were at the high school until about midnight.
A safer practice would have been to lay the rag flat outside or hang it up in the open air, Mr Lee said.
There had been a good response by both the caretaker who gave the alert with good information, and the fire brigade.
''It was a good save.''
- The Southland Times
Should April Miller be allowed to play in the presidents grade rugby competition?Related story: Southland woman banned from men's rugby side
Subscribe to a digital replica of The Southland Times.
Southland Times subscriber news and information.
Click here for information about advertising with The Southland Times.