Man admits Bluff axe attack
A 28-year-old man who invaded a Bluff home and attacked its occupants with an axe causing brain and other serious injuries thought he had killed them both.
Clayton William Dixon, meat worker, of Bluff, admitted three charges before Judge John Macdonald in Invercargill District Court today.
They were: two charges of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and burglary while being armed with an axe with on October 25.
Judge MacDonald gave Dixon a warning under the three-strikes law and remanded him in custody to February 28 for sentence.
Police prosecutor Sergeant Denise Harvey said at about 10.30pm Dixon went to his 33-year-old ex-partner's home, where she was with her four children, two of which were Dixon's, and her 36-year-old partner.
The male victim went into the conservatory of the house to have a cigarette but was immediately struck with an axe on the head. He staggered backwards into the living area and was again struck to his head with the axe knocking him to the ground, she said.
The female saw what happened and screamed at Dixon to stop. She rushed to her partner's side and, while on the floor, put her arms over him but Dixon struck her to the head with the axe and unknown number of times, she said.
The female reached her hand out to her partner on the ground but Dixon struck it with the axe causing it to break in several places, Ms Harvey said.
Dixon then returned to the male victim and was standing over him when associates of the victims arrived causing Dixon to flee, she said.
Police and ambulance were called and Dixon was found later in Bluff. He told police he had walked down to see his ex-partner and had become infuriated after he seen the male in the house. He admitted walking into the garden shed, taking the axe, entering the conservatory through an unlocked door and striking the male with the axe, she said.
He said he had then blacked out and could not remember any further assault but agreed he was alone and had caused all of the injuries, she said.
The next thing he remembered was standing over the female victim who was lying injured on the floor and then leaving the house.
He was remorseful, she said.
The female victim suffered a compound depressed skull fracture and numerous fractures to her right hand and fingers. She was flown to Dunedin Hospital and underwent lengthy surgery.
Her long term prognosis was uncertain but she had suffered a brain injury and may suffer long term disabilities, Ms Harvey said.
Her hand had several screws and plates inserted and she may never gain full use of it. She also suffered bruising and two black eyes, she said.
The male victim suffered a laceration to his forehead and ear, which required staples. He also suffered bruises and may have suffered permanent hearing loss and had been having headaches. He was treated at Southland Hospital.
The children had since been cared for by family members, she said.
The Southland Times