New voice for south on Fonterra council table
A Southland dairy farmer has been elected to the Fonterra Shareholders' Council.
Riverton dairy farmer Vaughan Templeton was elected unopposed to the Shareholders' Council for the Western Southland ward.
It was the first time Mr Templeton had run for a place on the council and he said he was looking forward to having a go.
"I wanted to learn a whole lot more about how Fonterra operates and to be able to relate to farmers and take their concerns to management," he said.
Councillors see out a three-year term and meet with Fonterra delegates up to eight times a year.
"I'm pretty keen to be that person that farmers can voice their concerns to.
"I want to keep in touch with farmers in my ward," he said.
Philip van der Bijl, of Otautau, was the former councillor for ward 35 and a founding member of the shareholders' council.
John Wilson and Nicola Shadbolt were re-elected on to the board of directors. They are joined by the newly elected Blue Read. Mr Read has a farm in Northern Taranaki.
FONTERRA SHAREHOLDERS' COUNCIL 2013-15
Directors Remuneration Committee: Rodney Wilson and David Gasquoine were elected unopposed.
- Ward 8 – Hamilton, Graham Barlow
- Ward 9 – Morrinsville, Malcolm Piggott
- Ward 17 – Eastern Bay of Plenty, Robin Barkla
- Ward 23 – Egmont Plains, Rob Poole
- Ward 32 – Southern Canterbury, Greg Kirkwood
Nominees elected unopposed
- Ward 2 - Whangarei, Alex Wright
- Ward 4 - Southern Northland, Tracey Bryan
- Ward 5 - South Auckland, Bill Millar
- Ward 11 - Western Bay of Plenty, Murray Linton
- Ward 14 - Te Awamutu, Kevin Ferris
- Ward 20 - Northern Taranaki, Kevin Turnbull
- Ward 26 - Hawke's Bay, Sandra Cordell
- Ward 29 - Tasman Marlborough, Evan Baigent
- Ward 35 - Western Southland, Vaughan Templeton
- The Southland Times
Subscribe to a digital replica of The Southland Times.
Southland Times subscriber news and information.
Click here for information about advertising with The Southland Times.