Fire service respond to ammonia leak

Last updated 22:53 25/12/2012

Relevant offers

Two Invercargill firefighters were decontaminated after responding to a reported ammonia leak in Sussex St, before 10pm last night.

A fire communications spokesman said two appliances from Invercargill were called to the Prime Range meat processing plant in Gladstone where crews identified an ammonia leak.

The crews were put on stand-by until the gas valve could be turned-off, he said.

Crew members wearing breathing apparatus and gas suits entered the building and were able to isolate the valves to the ammonia system, the spokesman said.

Fire crews were at the meat processing plant for one-and-a-half hours.

Two firefighters had to be decontaminated at the scene before leaving the site in the hands of the plant's management team, the spokesman said.

Ad Feedback

- © Fairfax NZ News

Comments

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

Social Media
The Southland Times on Facebook

Subscribe to a digital replica of The Southland Times.

Digital edition

Subscribe to a digital replica of The Southland Times.

Click here to read our free community newspapers from around the region.

Community newspapers

Click here to read our free community newspapers from around the region online.

Southland Times subscriber news and information.

Subscriber services

Southland Times subscriber news and information.

Click here for information about advertising with The Southland Times.

Advertise

Click here for information about advertising with The Southland Times.