Two Invercargill firefighters were decontaminated after an ammonia leak at the Prime Range meat processing plant on Christmas night.
A fire communications spokesman said two fire engines from Invercargill were called just before 10pm to the Prime Range meat processing plant in Gladstone, where crews identified an ammonia leak.
The crews were put on standby until the gas valve could be turned off, he said.
Crew members wearing breathing apparatus and gas suits entered the building and were able to isolate the valves to the ammonia system, the spokesman said.
Fire crews were at the meat processing plant for 1 hours.
Two firefighters had to be decontaminated at the scene before the site was left in the hands of the plant's management team, the spokesman said.
- © Fairfax NZ News
Check out what's on in your community or post an upcoming event.
Subscribe to a digital replica of The Southland Times.
Southland Times subscriber news and information.
Click here for information about advertising with The Southland Times.