Firefighters cleaned after leak callout

Last updated 05:00 27/12/2012

Relevant offers

Two Invercargill firefighters were decontaminated after an ammonia leak at the Prime Range meat processing plant on Christmas night.

A fire communications spokesman said two fire engines from Invercargill were called just before 10pm to the Prime Range meat processing plant in Gladstone, where crews identified an ammonia leak.

The crews were put on standby until the gas valve could be turned off, he said.

Crew members wearing breathing apparatus and gas suits entered the building and were able to isolate the valves to the ammonia system, the spokesman said.

Fire crews were at the meat processing plant for 1 hours.

Two firefighters had to be decontaminated at the scene before the site was left in the hands of the plant's management team, the spokesman said.

Ad Feedback

- The Southland Times

Comments

Special offers
Opinion poll

Should April Miller be allowed to play in the presidents grade rugby competition?

Yes, if she can keep up with the other players, why not?

No, it's against the rules and it's not safe for her

Vote Result

Related story: Southland woman banned from men's rugby side

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

Social Media
The Southland Times on Facebook

Subscribe to a digital replica of The Southland Times.

Digital edition

Subscribe to a digital replica of The Southland Times.

Click here to read our free community newspapers from around the region.

Community newspapers

Click here to read our free community newspapers from around the region online.

Southland Times subscriber news and information.

Subscriber services

Southland Times subscriber news and information.

Click here for information about advertising with The Southland Times.

Advertise

Click here for information about advertising with The Southland Times.