Beware of bluebottles at beach
Beach-goers weren't taking barefoot walks at Oreti Beach yesterday, as tiny blue bubbles - believed to be bluebottle jellyfish - were seen by the thousands on the sand and in the waves.
As people drove along the beach yesterday afternoon, the sound of popping could be heard.
In contrast to Christmas Day, nobody was in the waves at 5pm.
Mike Evans, of Invercargill, said his partner was stung while in the sea on Christmas Day and was not going back in because the jellyfish were still there.
Mr Evans said Tuesday had been the worst he had seen the jellyfish.
Walking down to the wet sand yesterday, he said he wasn't going back in because they were still prolific.
Armed with a camera, he took pictures of them instead.
When the jellyfish appeared earlier this month, Department of Conservation biodiversity programme manager Jessyca Bernard - said she was "99.9 per cent certain" they were bluebottle jellyfish and that they were dangerous even when dead.
People who saw them on the sand should not touch them and should keep their pets away from them.
The creatures could remain potent for hours or even days after their death or after the detachment of the tentacles.
Because they had no means of propulsion, they were moved along by a combination of winds, currents and tides, often congregating in thousands and sometimes being blown onto beaches.
If stung, an allergic reaction could follow and those affected should seek medical assistance, she said.
- The Southland Times
Should April Miller be allowed to play in the presidents grade rugby competition?Related story: Southland woman banned from men's rugby side
Subscribe to a digital replica of The Southland Times.
Southland Times subscriber news and information.
Click here for information about advertising with The Southland Times.