A large grass fire near Alexandra kept fire crews busy this afternoon.
A fire communications spokesman said three appliances were at the scene of the 2500-square metre fire on State Highway 85.
The fire service was alerted to the fire at 3.30pm with crews dowsing and dampening down the fire, the spokesman said.
Central Otago principal rural fire officer Owen Burgess said the fire started after a property owner, mowing his lawn, struck a rock with the mower blade, creating a spark.
Despite recent rain, it had not taken long for the grass to dry, and the fire was a warning to other people about what could happen if they were not vigilant, he said.
- © Fairfax NZ News
Check out what's on in your community or post an upcoming event.
Subscribe to a digital replica of The Southland Times.
Southland Times subscriber news and information.
Click here for information about advertising with The Southland Times.