Bar incident 'serious'

Liquor licensing officials are investigating an incident in which a teenage Swedish tourist was locked in a bar overnight after she passed out in a toilet cubicle.

The 19-year-old woke at 7am on Wednesday last week to discover she had been locked inside the Skybar in Camp St after passing out earlier in the night.

Lakes Environmental corporate and regulatory manager Lee Webster confirmed they were meeting with bar management today.

"Absolutely it's a concern. We've got a member of the public locked in a bathroom overnight in a licensed premise. There are a number of things that ring alarm bells," Mr Webster said.

He wasn't able to discuss the incident further as he hadn't yet had the opportunity to speak with any of the parties involved, he said.

However, it was a serious incident and the possible outcomes ranged from a warning letter to suspension or even cancellation of the liquor licence.

"I don't think we'd be looking at a cancellation. Suspension is a possibility dependant upon if it goes to the authority," he said.

Following the incident, Skybar spokesman Daniel Taiaroa told The Southland Times he was surprised to hear the woman had been locked inside the bar.

Checking the premises before locking up was part of the nightly routine at Skybar and they'd never had a problem with people being locked in before, he said.

The Southland Times