Campers advised to boil water
JESSICA MADDOCK IN WANAKA
Campers at Wanaka's Glendhu Bay holiday park are again being advised to boil their drinking water, after a small amount of E. coli was detected in the potable supply yesterday.
It was the second time this year a boil-water notice had been issued at the Queenstown Lakes District Council-owned camp.
The first contamination was in early January, after two days of heavy rain. The cause has not been confirmed.
Council infrastructure general manager Erik Barnes said the supply had since been found to be clean, following the compulsory three clear tests on three consecutive days. The council had monitored the supply more often than the usual twice-daily tests and, yesterday, another low-level E. coli contamination was detected.
Mr Barnes said, given the camp's water supply was lake-fed and there was a lot of recreational use of the lake, the council had decided to resume the boil water notice.
The Glendhu Bay Water Treatment Station, which supplied only the camp , was cleaned yesterday ahead of the usual schedule.
- © Fairfax NZ News
Check out what's on in your community or post an upcoming event.
Subscribe to a digital replica of The Southland Times.
Southland Times subscriber news and information.
Click here for information about advertising with The Southland Times.