A 20-year-old man accused of indecently assaulting an eight-year-old at Oreti Beach has been remanded on bail with continued name suppression.
The man appeared before Judge Kevin Phillips in the Invercargill District Court this afternoon where lawyer Peter Redpath applied for bail and asked for a continuation of name suppression.
Judge Phillips remanded the man on bail on strict conditions including not to associate with a child aged under 16 unless in the company of a fully informed adult and not to go to or remain on any beach, swimming pool or reserve.
Judge Phillips said threats had been made through media websites to the accused and his partner and an interim name suppression order was made until things quietened down.
The accused was entitled to the presumption of innocence and had no previous similar offending, he said.
Name suppression would be reviewed at his post committal conference on April 12.
The man faces two charges including sexually violating and indecently assaulting an eight-year-old. Police allege the incident occurred in the sand dunes about 50 metres south of the main entrance to the beach on February 2.
- The Southland Times
Should April Miller be allowed to play in the presidents grade rugby competition?Related story: Southland woman banned from men's rugby side
Subscribe to a digital replica of The Southland Times.
Southland Times subscriber news and information.
Click here for information about advertising with The Southland Times.