Driver loses fight for life after Teretonga crash
The New Zealand motorsport community is mourning the death of Stan Redmond.
The Formula 5000 driver lost his fight for life on Thursday after a horrific two-car crash at Teretonga Park near Invercargill last weekend.
Mr Redmond, 65, was involved in a crash during the testing round for the Classic Speedfest event last Friday.
He was airlifted to Dunedin Hospital, where he remained until his death. He had suffered a serious head injury and other internal injuries.
Southland Sports Car Club officials, who hosted the annual Speedfest, had been advised to direct media queries to Motorsport New Zealand yesterday.
Motorsport NZ general manager Brian Budd said it was a vey sad time for all involved in the sport. It was the first death of a competitor in New Zealand motorsport since 1999.
"We do have rules and regulations that are there to reduce or take some of that risk out of the sport but you're never going to remove it completely."
Budd said Motorsport NZ would look into the accident but would trust the coroner's investigation.
"Teretonga is a pretty safe track, we will look at the particular corner that it happened on, or particular section of the circuit it happened on, but we don't have any concerns about the safety of the circuit," Budd said.
Mr Redmond had raced Formula 5000 cars since the 1990s and among his best results was a second place in a Brands Hatch event in England in 2008. He also raced Formula Fords and Formula Holdens.
- The Southland Times
Subscribe to a digital replica of The Southland Times.
Southland Times subscriber news and information.
Click here for information about advertising with The Southland Times.