St Peter's Anglican Church in Queenstown is about to mark 150 years since the first service attended by pioneers, goldminers and settlers.
Sunday, September 1, marks the start of services in 1863 on the site donated to the Wakatipu parish by pioneering settler William Rees.
Celebrations start on Saturday with members of the parish, family and friends walking, riding or sailing to church.
A walk has been organised from Kelvin Heights beach at 10am and Arrowtowners will set off by bicycle at 10am.
People from all over the district can meet at the Boat Shed at Frankton marina where they will be joined by The Reverend David Coles at 11am then the party will walk to church.
The pilgrimage to the church is scheduled for 12 to 1pm, in time for a barbecue lunch and registration for the weekend events.
Historic walking tours have been planned during the afternoon and on Saturday evening from 5pm an exhibition to mark 150 years opens.
On Sunday a commemorative service starts at St Peter's at 10.30am and a special service will be held in the original church building in Omakau, now St Mary's, at 11.30am.
Events included a tree-planting ceremony, burial of a time capsule, catching up with past parishioners and a talk by William Rees' great-granddaughter Rosemary Marryatt.
- The Mirror
Check out what's on in your community or post an upcoming event.
Subscribe to a digital replica of The Southland Times.
Southland Times subscriber news and information.
Click here for information about advertising with The Southland Times.