An Invercargill man has was found by firefighters on the floor of his flat after smoke alarms went off at his home was "close to a fatality".
Firefighters found the man, who has been taken to Southland Hospital. His condition is not known.
Southern Fire Communications shift manager Lyn Crosson said smoke alarms had been activated after a small fire developed on the stove top of the Clarendon Ct property at 9.50am.
Invercargill Fire Service senior station officer Graeme Gilroy said he was unsure if the man, believed to be in his 50s, had a medical problem while cooking or if he had suffered smoke inhalation.
''He was extremely lucky, we were extremely concerned - it was close to a fatality,'' Mr Gilrfoy said.
- © Fairfax NZ News
Check out what's on in your community or post an upcoming event.
Subscribe to a digital replica of The Southland Times.
Southland Times subscriber news and information.
Click here for information about advertising with The Southland Times.