Oven fire 'close' to being lethal
An Invercargill man was taken to hospital after being found on the floor of his flat following a small fire.
The man, believed to be in his 50s, was found lying on the floor of his Clarendon Court flat in Stirrat St yesterday morning.
Southern Fire Communications shift manager Lyn Crosson said smoke alarms were activated after a small fire developed on the man's stove top at 9.50am.
Invercargill senior station officer Graeme Gilroy said it was unknown whether the man suffered a medical event while cooking or whether he suffered from smoke inhalation.
The man was taken to Southland Hospital and his condition was unknown.
"He was extremely lucky, we were extremely concerned - it was close to a fatality," Gilroy said.
The incident was a reminder for people to not only "look when you cook" but also look out for their neighbours, he said.
- © Fairfax NZ News
Check out what's on in your community or post an upcoming event.
Subscribe to a digital replica of The Southland Times.
Southland Times subscriber news and information.
Click here for information about advertising with The Southland Times.