Broken boiler disrupts classes at city school
Pupils claim unscheduled holidayLAUREN HAYES
A backup boiler had to be craned into Waihopai School this week after the school's boiler malfunctioned, giving pupils an unscheduled holiday.
Waihopai School principal Allan Mitchell said classes had to be cancelled for two days after the school's boiler blew up on Tuesday night.
"I think the kids were probably excited. The parents - it was a total nightmare for them. They've been incredibly supportive of us."
Despite having a 30-year life span, the boiler was only seven years old when it broke down, which was disappointing, he said.
It was unclear what had caused the boiler to stop working.
A temporary boiler, housed in a shipping container and carefully craned on to the school grounds, will be used for about six months until a replacement can be organised.
Although children were given a two-day holiday, teachers were still required to rug up and come into work, with gas and electric heaters on hand to keep the staffroom warm.
A team of heating engineers planned to work through the night to ensure the classrooms would be warm enough for pupils returning to class this morning, Mr Mitchell said.
- © Fairfax NZ News
Check out what's on in your community or post an upcoming event.
Subscribe to a digital replica of The Southland Times.
Southland Times subscriber news and information.
Click here for information about advertising with The Southland Times.