The Fire Service is calling on the public to take better care while using fireworks after firefighters were called out to a number of bonfire and firework-related incidents throughout the region last night.
Fire Communications acting shift manager Daryl Ball urged the public to take better care and not to use fireworks in a dangerous way.
Most of the incidents appear to have happened when fireworks were placed on the ground but had fallen over, he said.
Most bonfires firefighters attended were under control when they arrived but care was still needed, he said.
There were no injuries or out of control fires.
''Everyone was pretty good last night, let's hope it stays that way.''
- © Fairfax NZ News
Check out what's on in your community or post an upcoming event.
Subscribe to a digital replica of The Southland Times.
Southland Times subscriber news and information.
Click here for information about advertising with The Southland Times.