Anzac ballot attracts hundreds
Hundreds of people have registered for the Gallipoli 2015 ballot for a chance to attend the Anzac Day centenary commemorations in Turkey.
There was a registration every 30 seconds in the first few hours.
The ballot opened at noon today.
By 4.30pm there had been more than 500 registrations and nearly 3000 visitors to the website, the office of Veterans' Affairs Minister Michael Woodhouse said.
People have until January 31 next year to register. The ballot will be drawn in March.
The Turkish Government has set a limit of 10,500 to attend the centenary services on April 25, 2015.
New Zealand will get 2000 places and Australia 8000, based on the number of casualties suffered by each country at Gallipoli during World War I.
It has been estimated that 40,000 people from both sides of the Tasman are interested in going.
While in past years the demographic at Gallipoli on Anzac Day had been mostly made up of younger people travelling around Europe on their OE, more older people and families were expected to travel to Turkey for the centenary commemorations, Veterans' Affairs general manager Rick Ottaway said.
Grandstands set up at the Anzac commemorative site seated 4500, he said. "It's going to be cosy."
Passes will be allocated to New Zealanders as follows:
❏ 100 double passes allocated to direct descendants of Gallipoli veterans.
❏ 100 double passes to veterans of all conflicts.
❏ 750 double passes to all New Zealanders.
❏ 100 places reserved for allocation by the Government.
- Fairfax Media
Subscribe to a digital replica of The Southland Times.
Southland Times subscriber news and information.
Click here for information about advertising with The Southland Times.