Fire at South Port
A stray spark at South Port set a rubbish pile on fire and had the Bluff Volunteer Fire Brigade racing to the harbour island this afternoon.
Deputy chief fire officer Paul Taylor said a worker was using an acetylene torch to cut steel when a spark jumped into some dry tussock.
The small fire then spread to a rubbish heap and set tyres and some plastic piping alight, he said.
The worker attempted to put the fire out with a fire extinguisher but to no avail, he said.
When the fire crew arrived, the fire was quickly out.
''There was a bit of smoke and a few onlookers in the streets of Bluff,'' he said.
- © Fairfax NZ News
Check out what's on in your community or post an upcoming event.
Subscribe to a digital replica of The Southland Times.
Southland Times subscriber news and information.
Click here for information about advertising with The Southland Times.