Man escapes fire
A man escaped certain death after getting out of a building he used as shelter when it went up in flames this morning, witnesses say.
The elderly man was taken to Southland Hospital with smoke inhalation and was in a serious condition after the old Kennington store building was destroyed by fire.
Fire crews from Invercargill and Wallacetown were called to Kennington Rd at 8.20am.
Invercargill senior station officer Peter Thwaites said the fire could be seen from Invercargill.
When crews arrived they were confronted by flames and plenty of smoke, he said.
The initial reports received from a resident in Kennington Rd, who called in the fire, said an elderly ''homeless man'' used the old store for shelter and was believed to be staying in it when fire engulfed the building.
When the first fire crew arrived, they searched the building for the man.
However, he escaped out and was with nearby residents, Mr Thwaites said.
Kennington resident Michael Grantham who called 111 said he noticed thick smoke and went to investigate.
After seeing the flames he called the fire service straight away.
Willie Fraser, another Kennington Rd resident, said the man would most certainly have not made it if he had not got out before flames took hold.
''He told us he had just put some hot ashes outside then went back inside when everything went dark,'' Mr Fraser said.
It was a relief to see the man emerge from the building but his hair was singed, he said.
An ambulance communications spokesman said an elderly man was taken to Southland Hospital in a serious condition due to smoke-inhalation.
Firefighters remained at the scene dampening down the ashes.
- The Southland Times
Should April Miller be allowed to play in the presidents grade rugby competition?Related story: Southland woman banned from men's rugby side
Subscribe to a digital replica of The Southland Times.
Southland Times subscriber news and information.
Click here for information about advertising with The Southland Times.