Neighbours save couple from fire

NICOLE SHARP
Last updated 09:05 29/01/2014

Relevant offers

A young couple who had just moved into a rental house in Balfour have been saved from a fire by alert neighbours.

Southland fire investigator Mike Cahill said the young couple were woken up by neighbours as their house burned.

The fire took hold about 4.20am yesterday.

The lives of the people in the house were certainly saved by the actions of nearby residents, Mr Cahill said.

"Unfortunately, there were no smoke alarms in the house on Kruger St because the residents had just moved in."

The lucky escape reinforced the need for everyone who moved into a new home to make sure there were working smoke alarms, he said.

Investigations were continuing into the fire but it appeared it may have started from an electrical fault in the roof.

The house was severely damaged and would probably not be salvaged, he said.

Balfour and Riversdale fire brigades attended.

Ad Feedback

- The Southland Times

Comments

Special offers
Opinion poll

Should April Miller be allowed to play in the presidents grade rugby competition?

Yes, if she can keep up with the other players, why not?

No, it's against the rules and it's not safe for her

Vote Result

Related story: Southland woman banned from men's rugby side

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

Social Media
The Southland Times on Facebook

Subscribe to a digital replica of The Southland Times.

Digital edition

Subscribe to a digital replica of The Southland Times.

Click here to read our free community newspapers from around the region.

Community newspapers

Click here to read our free community newspapers from around the region online.

Southland Times subscriber news and information.

Subscriber services

Southland Times subscriber news and information.

Click here for information about advertising with The Southland Times.

Advertise

Click here for information about advertising with The Southland Times.