Fire a reminder to check alarms
A sleeping tenant's lucky escape from an Invercargill house fire has prompted a reminder about keeping smoke alarms in working order.
Firefighters were called to a property in Yarrow St just after 3.30am yesterday, arriving to find a small fire on the outside wall of the house.
Fire investigator Paul Glanville said that although the house was fitted with smoke alarms, the batteries in the alarms were not properly connected and the alarms did not sound.
The sole tenant was lucky to wake up from the smell of smoke in time to get out of the house safely, he said.
The incident was a reminder to check once a month that smoke alarms were in working order.
It was also important to put smoke alarms in bedrooms and in hallways near bedrooms, far enough away from cooking areas so they did not become a nuisance, he said.
Mr Glanville believed the fire was caused by an electrical fault in the wall behind the oven.
Emergency services were called back to Yarrow St a few hours after the house fire to deal with a two-vehicle collision.
A police communications spokesman said the crash at the intersection of Yarrow and Isabella streets was reported just before 9.30am.
One of the occupants received minor injuries and there were reports of smoke coming from one of the vehicles, he said.
The crashed vehicles caused some traffic delays.
- The Southland Times
If your house was on fire, would you risk your own life to save your pet?Related story: Pair risk lives to save cat
Subscribe to a digital replica of The Southland Times.
Southland Times subscriber news and information.
Click here for information about advertising with The Southland Times.