Weather halts MH370 search operation
The Malaysian government will take over the investigation in the southern Indian Ocean for lost flight MH370 as bad weather hampers efforts to recover any wreckage.
Deputy Prime Minister Warren Truss said confirmation by Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak that the plane had crashed killing all on board moved the investigation into a new phase, with Malaysia taking control under the Chicago Convention on international civil aviation.
The Australian Maritime Safety Authority said today that HMAS Success had left the search area because of rough seas.
Waves up to two metres high with an associated swell of up to four metres were forecast, with strong gale force winds up to 80kmh, periods of heavy rain and low cloud with a ceiling between 200 and 500 feet, the Australian Maritime Safety Authority said.
The conditions would make air and sea search activities hazardous. Conditions were expected to improve in the evening and over the next few days. The search was due to resume tomorrow.
Australian naval ship Success had left the search area early this morning and was headed south to wait until seas abated. Success was unable to find objects spotted in the search area by an Australian air force Orion.
Families were told this morning that flight MH370, which vanished on March 8 with 239 people onboard, "ended" in the middle of the Indian Ocean west of Perth "far from any possible landing sites".
Malaysian Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak said the information came from new Immarsat satellite analysis.
Najib said "pings" sent out by the plane had been pieced together to shed more light on its flight path.
According to this data, provided to UK officials by London-based satellite company Inmarsat, the plane flew for more than seven hours after it had turned back from its scheduled flight path over the South China Sea.
In a separate statement, Malaysia Airlines said its "prayers go out to all the loved ones... at this enormously painful time".
"We know there are no words that we or anyone else can say which can ease your pain," the statement said.
The airline said it hoped the continued search would provide more answers.
New Zealand would continue its part in the southern Indian Ocean search, Prime Minister John Key said this morning.
The Inmarsat analysis will allow the massive search area in the Indian Ocean, which can be as deep as 7000 metres, to be narrowed.
Searchers will now be able to calculate how far the plane could have flown with the fuel it had on board.
Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott told his country's parliament overnight that a RAAF P-3 Orion aircraft had located two new objects at about 2.45pm local time on Monday.
Abbott said the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) had advised him the Orion crew had seen a grey or green circular object as well as an orange rectangular object, both of which were separate to the objects spotted by a Chinese aircraft, in the Indian Ocean.
Abbott said he did not know if the objects were from the flight.
The objects reported by the Chinese Ilyushin IL-76 to AMSA earlier yesterday were seen floating in the southern Indian Ocean as the crew returned to Perth from the search area, according to official news agency Xinhua.
However, a US Poseidon was unable to find them again.
China and France released further satellite imagery over the weekend showing objects in the same region which could be linked to the missing flight.