Toil and trouble + results
Central Southland College students, from left, Hayley Wilson, Breane Dowling, Kristy Schuster and EG Debuyan, shake of any nerves and perform scenes from Macbeth as part of the Southland heat of the Sheilah Winn Shakespeare Festival.
Twelve troupes from eight schools throughout Southland and from Queenstown performed snippets of the Bard's works at Verdon College last night in front of a panel of judges and an enthusiastic crowd.
The winners of either a five- or 15-minute excerpt will head to Wellington for the national finals of the competition on Queen's Birthday Weekend.
Central Southland College actor/director Kristy Schuster said it would be great if her troupe won a spot in the national finals.
It had been hard work but well worth the effort getting ready for last night's performance, she said.
- Best 15 minute performance: Wakatipu High School, Titus Andronicus*
- Best five minute performance: Verdon College, Macbeth*
- Best individual performance: Daniel Botha, James Hargest College*
- Best student directors: Shaun Swain and Kameron Corbin, Verdon College
- Best connection between two actors: Sophie Lake and Victoria Boult, Wakatipu High School
- Best understanding of a relationship: Mathilda Phillips and Daniel Botha, James Hargest College
- Best actor in a student directed performance: Dryw McArthur, James Hargest College
- Best costuming: Southland Girls' High School, A Midsummer Night's Dream
- * These winners will be attending the national finals in Wellington
The Southland Times