Fire badly damages house

NEIL RATLEY
Last updated 14:01 29/03/2014
Fire
Neil Ratley
ALL ABLAZE: Unattended candles are being blamed for a fire that badly damaged a house in Ness St, Invercargill last night.

Relevant offers

Candles left to burn unattended are being blamed for a house fire in Invercargill while a lack of smoke alarms resulted in increased damage, fire authorities say.

Fire crews were called to Ness St just after 11.30pm last night and on arrival found the house well ablaze.

Senior Station officer Colin Russell said one room was well involved in fire. 

The occupants had escaped the house and were treated by the fire service and ambulance for minor smoke inhalation.

The fire was a result of unattended candles left burning in the lounge, he said.

The fire was quickly brought under control with 12 firefighters including six using breathing apparatus battling the blaze.

The damage caused by the fire was compounded by the fact the property did not have working smoke alarms, Mr Russell said.

''The premises did not have any working smoke alarms. Working smoke alarms would have provided early warning to the occupants and restricted the damage to the house considerably,'' he said.

Ad Feedback

- Stuff

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

Social Media
The Southland Times on Facebook

Subscribe to a digital replica of The Southland Times.

Digital edition

Subscribe to a digital replica of The Southland Times.

Click here to read our free community newspapers from around the region.

Community newspapers

Click here to read our free community newspapers from around the region online.

Southland Times subscriber news and information.

Subscriber services

Southland Times subscriber news and information.

Click here for information about advertising with The Southland Times.

Advertise

Click here for information about advertising with The Southland Times.