House did have working smoke alarms
A house badly damaged by fire in Invercargill on Friday night did have working smoke alarms, despite fire authorities saying otherwise.
On Saturday, the New Zealand Fire Service released a statement saying the fire-damaged Ness St house did not have working smoke alarms.
However, New Zealand Fire Service Southland area commander Bruce Stubbs said yesterday the fire service had got it wrong.
''After further investigations and talking with the people in the house, we can confirm the smoke alarms were working and in fact did their job,'' he said.
In a Facebook post, Liv McBride who was in the house said both alarms in the house had gone off and they had saved lives.
''I really mean it - smoke alarms save lives. Glenn [McBride's husband] was in there the longest and he said it was like breathing plastic. Smoke kills before fire - test your alarms,'' her Facebook post says.
She thanked the people who had supported her family after the fire.
The fire started after candles were left burning unattended, the fire service said.
- The Southland Times
Should April Miller be allowed to play in the presidents grade rugby competition?Related story: Southland woman banned from men's rugby side
Subscribe to a digital replica of The Southland Times.
Southland Times subscriber news and information.
Click here for information about advertising with The Southland Times.