Second Dunedin arrest after weekend of violence

04:27, Apr 30 2014

Police have arrested a 19-year-old Dunedin man for an alleged assault in the city centre at the weekend.

It came hard on the heels of the arrest of another man for a homicide in the same area hours earlier.

The 19-year-old was arrested in relation to the second serious assault in the city's Octagon on Sunday, just metres from where Ryan John Court had been found fatally wounded in the toilet of the Craft Bar hours earlier.

Police had made a plea to members of the public for help with their investigation into the second incident about 8pm on Sunday. The 38-year-old victim received serious head injuries.

"The victim remains in Dunedin Hospital and is progressing well," acting area commander Jason Guthrie said.

The man arrested today would tomorrow in the Dunedin District Court face a charge of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

"Police will not tolerate this kind of behaviour," Guthrie said.

"This antisocial and violent behaviour won't be tolerated on our streets. When these kinds of incidents occur, police will always act swiftly and focus their actions on apprehending the alleged offender."

The man charged with the assault on Court, Stephen Anthony Fernyhough, 25, has been remanded in custody and will reappear in the Dunedin District Court next week. 

Advertisement

Fairfax Media