Man jailed for indecent assault

Last updated 05:00 07/12/2010

Relevant offers


Three men accused of aggravated robbery in court Accused killer the son of infamous murderer Drunken ski instructors charged 'Miracle' driver didn't hit traffic Jury sworn in for Oamaru murder trial Driver not at fault in tourist's death Fleeced investors unlikely to be compensated Judge: Mum puts booze before kids Man faces multiple fraud charges Spree of southern thefts admitted

An 18-year-old man who indecently assaulted a physically impaired man, assaulted another with a bottle, and threatened another, was yesterday sentenced to jail.

Mathew Nikau Wilson was sentenced to three years and six months' jail when he appeared before Judge Kevin Phillips in the Invercargill District Court on charges of burglary, wounding with intent to injure, remaining in a building without authority, indecent assault, assault and threatening grievous bodily harm.

The offending occurred on July 21.

Judge Phillips said Wilson went to one victim's home and entered by removing a piece of cardboard that had been used to replace a smashed glass panel.

The victim told Wilson to leave. Wilson then demanded a cigarette and asked the victim to perform various sexual acts.

Wilson had tried to force the man, who relied on a walker, to perform the acts and had also urinated on his floor, Judge Phillips said.

Wilson later went to the second victim's home, a short distance away.

He was told to leave but refused and instead punched the victim several times and later struck him with a bottle.

A neighbour tried to intervene but Wilson threatened him, he said.

Wilson was lucky neither man was significantly physically injured, Judge Phillips said.

Indecent assault
Maxwell Charles Franklin Marie, 28, meatworker, was sentenced to two years and seven months' jail, with a minimum non-parole period of one year and eight months, for indecently assaulting a woman he did not know on July 30. He was also sentenced to two years' jail, to be served concurrently, for burglary the same day.

The court was told Marie went to the woman's house about 4.30am, entering through an unsecure door, before getting into her bed and pulling her on top of him. The man later returned to the house and spoke to the woman for about 30 minutes, telling her his name, nickname and details of his work. The woman told police she had gone along with what Marie wanted because she had not wanted to provoke him.

Aggravated burglary
Jessie Murray Aoake, 22, was sentenced to one year and 10 months' jail for the aggravated burglary of the Albatross Fish Supply on July 16, and one year's jail, to be served concurrently, for demanding money with menace the same day.

The court was told Aoake went to the fish supply shop with a knife and demanded money. His attempts were thwarted by two men who disturbed him as he started to lift the counter and he fled the shop.

Assault with intent to injure
Nikora Luther Wanakore, 25, was sentenced to 12 months' jail and ordered to pay $554 reparation for assaulting a man with intent to injure him on May 1, and sentenced to nine months' jail, to be served concurrently, for assaulting the same man earlier the same day.

Ad Feedback

The court was told Wanakore punched the man in the face at an Invercargill nightclub, causing a deep laceration, before kicking him on the street.

Scott Micheal Mainland, 19, farmer, was sentenced to a total of 16 months' jail for breaching his home detention and possessing cannabis for supply on July 30, and resentence for injuring with intent to injure, burglary, and intentional dam-age.

Alexander Bernard Zyskowski, 19, was sentenced to 12 months' jail when he appeared for sentence for breaching his home detention on August 13, and resentence for injuring with intent to injure, burglary, and intentional damage.

Kerry Scully, 42, was sentenced to two years and three months' jail for possessing cannabis for sale.

- The Southland Times


Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content