Dixon mistrial declared

Last updated 15:01 20/08/2012

Relevant offers

Court

Invercargill District Court News - April Sportsmen appear in court Teenager pleads guilty, siblings deny charges Invercargill District Court News - April Mother chided over truant girl Trio jailed for roles in drug supply ring Man to be sentenced for assaulting four people Queenstown District Court News - April Chinese driver had limited experience Gore District Court - April

A mistrial has been declared in the case of Queenstown man Jonathan Dixon.

Dixon faces two charges - causing grievous bodily harm with reckless disregard for the safety of others, and assault.

His trial, heard before Judge Kevin Phillips, started this morning, when the jury heard opening statements from crown solicitor Mary-Jane Thomas and defence counsel Simon Claver, and evidence from one of the complainants, Jordan Sinke.
However after the lunch adjournment the jury was called back in and a mistrial was declared.

The reason for the mistrial has been suppressed.

Dixon was remanded on bail to September 20 for a pre-trial callover.

Earlier this morning, Ms Thomas told the jury, during her opening statement, the alleged incidents occurred at Queenstown club Subculture on January 21.

It was the crown case that Dixon struck Mr Sinke, causing him to fall to the ground where he suffered a fractured skull and inter-cranial hemorrhaging, she said.

A witness saw Dixon trying to help the man, and would tell the jury he heard him say ‘let me help, I caused this’, she said.

The second complainant, Thomas Beatson, was later punched by Dixon, she said.

Mr Sinke told the jury he met with friends after finishing work but had no other memories of the evening.

When questioned by Mr Claver, Mr Sinke conceded he had been drinking but when asked if he had tried to kick Dixon, said he could not remember anything.

Ad Feedback

- © Fairfax NZ News

Comments

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content