Man gets temporary name suppression

A man charged with sexual assault was granted interim name suppression for 48 hours when he appeared in Queenstown District Court yesterday.

The 23-year-old Whataroa man did not enter a plea when he appeared before Judge Kevin Phillips charged with sexual violation in Queenstown on September 28.

Lawyer Phena Byrne said publication of her client's name could cause undue hardship as Whataroa was a small place and there could be adverse reaction. His employer was aware there were charges and matters were still at the disclosure stage, she said.

The man was entitled to the presumption of innocence.

Judge Phillips said the jury pool would not be drawn from Westland and the charge was a serious one.

Regarding the application for name suppression, the defendant was in no better a position than someone well known publicly, he said.

Interim name suppression was refused but imposed until noon on Thursday for any further submissions. The defendant was remanded on bail for a post-committal conference on December 19.

Simon Paul Islip, 29, builder, of Fernhill, was remanded for sentence on November 19 for assault with intent to injure on October 14.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Ian Collin said Islip was in the Shotover St Night 'n Day with another group of males. Islip believed one of a group of three men had stolen and confronted them before removing his jacket and throwing it on the floor. The three men told Islip to leave them alone, but he pushed one of them before grabbing another man's shirt front and headbutting him, causing the man to stagger backwards. The victim punched Islip to the floor, with his head striking a counter, punched him again as he lay on the shop floor then kicked him. Islip was knocked unconscious.

Raymond William Peat, 36, of Wanaka, was remanded for sentence on November 19 for injuring with reckless disregard for the safety of others, on February 19. He used a trophy to hit the victim on the head in a Wanaka bakery after a basketball game.

False statement
Benjamin Mark Smith, 20, of Wanaka, was sentenced to three months' community detention, 150 hours' community work and nine months' supervision for making a false statement to police on August 27, and two months' community detention and ordered to pay $1100 reparation for stealing an iPhone on July 21.

Gary James Cody, 60, of Arrowtown, was fined $300 for possessing cannabis on October 13.

Matthew John Slocombe, 26, was discharged without conviction for possessing LSD, cannabis and utensils on July 21. He was ordered to pay $500 towards the prosecution costs.

Having bat in public place
Amanda Jane Nicolls, 41, manager, of Frankton, entered a guilty plea to having a baseball bat in a public place, which prima facie showed an intention to use it to commit bodily injury or threat of violence, on August 5. A hearing was set for November 19 for a discharge without conviction application.

Jaron Marcus Dodge was remanded in custody till January 15 for escaping police custody and assault on a female on October 4.

Dean Robert Jarvis, 19, chef, of Sunshine Bay, was fined $650 and disqualified from driving for six months for driving while suspended and possessing cannabis on October 17.

Layton Roy Blackford, 18, food industry worker, of Frankton, was fined $400 and disqualified for six months for driving while suspended on October 19.

The Southland Times