Tourist to pay $8100 for injuring woman

19:48, Sep 24 2013

An Australian tourist who inadvertently glassed a woman in a Queenstown bar was ordered to pay more than $8000 this week.

Daniel Christopher Loudon, 25, an accountant, of Brisbane, appeared in the Queenstown District Court before Judge Kevin Phillips for sentence for injuring with reckless disregard for the safety of others on August 4.

The court was told Loudon was arguing with a group of men in the bar as the victim was walking through the premises towards the dance floor in the early hours. He was holding a glass and, as he swung a punch towards one of the men, he struck the woman in the face and the glass shattered.

He was ordered to pay $5000 emotional harm reparation, make a $2500 donation to charity and pay $600 reparation.

Judge Phillips said the woman suffered three 3cm-long cuts to her head close to an eye. He did not consider there was premeditation but told Loudon if the glass had struck one of the men, then a jail sentence would have been imposed.

A starting point of two years' jail was applicable and with discounts this opened up a sentence of home detention for a New Zealand resident. But the interests of the community were better served by the payment of funds to make cosmetic surgery available.


"You are not buying your way out of here; the sooner you leave New Zealand forever the better."

Lawyer Bill Dawkins said his client accepted the recklessness of his actions but there was no intention to strike the woman. Loudon was "dreadfully sorry" and arrived in court prepared to pay substantial reparation, Mr Dawkins said.

Assault with a weapon

A Glenorchy woman who bottled her ex-husband's new wife was sentenced to community detention.

Susanne Veint, 48, appeared for sentence for assault with a weapon, namely a bottle, on August 11.

The court was told she was drinking in the Glenorchy Hotel when a heated argument started between her and victim Alisi Veint at 2.30am. Patrons tried to separate the pair but Veint smashed a big bottle of beer into the victim's forehead, shattering the glass.

Veint was sentenced to four months' community detention, including a 8pm to 7am curfew, 200 hours' community work, any necessary alcohol and drug assessment, and ordered to pay $750 emotional harm reparation.

Judge Phillips said Veint's marriage had ended and there were continuing difficulties between her and her ex-husband's new wife, Alisi.

He warned her to stop what appeared to be a feud.

"If there is any further issues between you and this woman, then there can be but one result for you."

Lawyer Katy Baxter said the victim had poured a drink over her client and made extremely hurtful comments about a previous relationship.

"She snapped and struck the victim with a bottle that was already in her hand.

"For her to snap and behave in such an out-of-character way would show some underlying factors, an element of provocation."

The victim was not seriously injured, she said.

Threatened to injure

Simon Leslie Wright, 35, unemployed, of Wanaka, was sentenced to 40 hours' community work for threatening to injure with intent to frighten on August 25.


Benjamin James Sandri, 29, was sentenced to six months' supervision for behaving in a disorderly manner likely in the circumstances to cause violence against persons to start on September 14.


Tyne James Kirkham, 31, was fined $400 for operating a vehicle carelessly and causing injury, June 17.


Eleanor Amy Brinsley, 20, of Arthurs Pt, was sentenced to 18 months' intensive supervision with judicial monitoring, 200 hours' community work and disqualified from driving indefinitely for driving with a breath alcohol level of 632mcg on July 20. It was her third conviction.

Nathan John Wallis, 34, bouncer, 708mcg on July 31. Sentenced to 300 hours' community work and disqualified for 15 months.

Paul William Littlejohn, 24, of Arthurs Pt, was fined $500 and disqualified for six months for attempting to drink and drive on September 16.

Michael Geoffrey Shane Carter, 40, of Wanaka, was fined $500 and disqualified for six months for driving with a blood alcohol level of 122mg on August 16.

The Southland Times