Memories of ambush remain

Last updated 05:00 24/04/2010
stimes anzac10 logo
Clive Locker
JOHN EDENS/The Southland Times
Clive Locker, of Galloway, served with 1st Battalion, B Company, in Malaya from 1957 to 1959.
Clive Locker
Private Clive Locker.
4 platoon
Members of 4 platoon B company with surrendered communist terrorists. From left, A Jacobs, Clive Locker (back row, second from left), T Quirke, R TeReo, B Tomlins and S Cribb.

Relevant offers

Southerners at War

Looking to the future Region marks Anzac Day 2013 War memorials of the south The Blue Line We remember the forgotten conflicts A nation born Anzac audio slideshows Anzac Day 2012 around the south Fighting for recognition Thousands attend Anzac Day services

Volunteer Clive Locker was stationed at Ipoh from 1957 to 1959 with 1st Battalion, B company, embarking on deep jungle patrols in search of enemy MRLA.

ANZAC 2010, soldiers of South-East Asia
We remember the forgotten conflicts
Fighting for recognition: 'The forgotten army'
Telling their stories: A sense of brotherhood
Service left a mark: Malaya, Gordon Branks
Kiwis held in high esteem: Malaysia, Brian Duncan
Memories will go to the grave: Malaya, Ken Barton
Health problems: Borneo, Neil Hogan
A hard slog: Malaya, Rangi Rickard
Work hard and play hard: Malaya, Fred Ryan
Serving an adventure: Malaya, Colin Rooney
Plenty of eyes in the jungle: Malaya, Des Weavers
Families well looked after: Malaya, Graeme Henderson
Fancy an overseas trip?: Malaya, Alan Waldron
Memories of ambush remain: Malaya, Clive Locker
'Emergency' dragged on for 12 years
Not all are allowed to wear their badge of honour

Ad Feedback

He saw plenty of action and spent years replaying an incident in which he and his platoon were ambushed.

After scouting for and finding an enemy camp, British bombers were called in.

Locker's platoon fell back during the assault before heading to the camp, climbing up a ridge to survey terrain.

''There was bush in front of us and it was rather a funny feeling, here we were standing on top of a ridge and we could hear the communists talking.''

The platoon dug in overnight and next morning worked their way through dense bush to a clearing.

But the CTs (communist terrorists) – "clever buggers'', Clive says – were gone, leaving behind one supply pack.

Soldiers fanned out, moving across the clearing and up a hill on the other side when a CT popped up, fired and disappeared.

Another CT, who tried to retrieve the pack, ran into a hail of bullets and was killed.

The platoon was ordered to track the MRLA but found a downward sloping jungle path deliberately blocked with a tangle of roots: an ambush.

Mr Locker says he spent years wondering why he and others weren't killed that day – they'd run into CTs with at least two machine guns, which opened up on 4 platoon.

He decided the enemy probably ran out of ammunition, relying on tracer rounds.

"It had me for years – why didn't they kill us?

"They were experienced fighters. The firing just stopped and nobody was there, they'd all gone.''

The sally was a success – the pack left behind contained strategic information indicating the CTs were considering an end to jungle fighting, switching tactics to concentrate on urban areas.

- The Southland Times


Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content