Plenty of eyes in the jungle

Last updated 05:00 24/04/2010
stimes anzac10 logo

Relevant offers

Southerners at War

Looking to the future Region marks Anzac Day 2013 War memorials of the south The Blue Line We remember the forgotten conflicts A nation born Anzac audio slideshows Anzac Day 2012 around the south Fighting for recognition Thousands attend Anzac Day services

Detecting the enemy in impenetrable jungle was based on gut instinct, Invercargill man Des Weavers says.

ANZAC 2010, soldiers of South-East Asia
We remember the forgotten conflicts
Fighting for recognition: 'The forgotten army'
Telling their stories: A sense of brotherhood
Service left a mark: Malaya, Gordon Branks
Kiwis held in high esteem: Malaysia, Brian Duncan
Memories will go to the grave: Malaya, Ken Barton
Health problems: Borneo, Neil Hogan
A hard slog: Malaya, Rangi Rickard
Work hard and play hard: Malaya, Fred Ryan
Serving an adventure: Malaya, Colin Rooney
Plenty of eyes in the jungle: Malaya, Des Weavers
Families well looked after: Malaya, Graeme Henderson
Fancy an overseas trip?: Malaya, Alan Waldron
Memories of ambush remain: Malaya, Clive Locker
'Emergency' dragged on for 12 years
Not all are allowed to wear their badge of honour

Ad Feedback

"It was quite scary – you felt someone was looking at you the whole time.''

But those eyes weren't always just those of the communist terrorists.

Indigenous elephant, tiger, buffalo, rhinoceros, crocodiles, pythons and huge spiders stalked the jungle patrols.

However, the most efficient predator was also one of the stealthiest leeches.

They could attack undetected, Weavers says.

"You wouldn't know they were on you until you saw the could trek through the jungle and see them coming to you.''

Private Weavers served from 1957 in 1st Battalion New Zealand Regiment as part of D company based initially at Tanah Hitam camp in northern Malaya.

His platoon patrolled jungle in areas suspected of housing CT after an aerial assault by British bombers.

"They bombed different areas where they thought the CT were, then sent us in to see if they had been there...sometimes they were, sometimes they weren't.''

The closest he came to a firefight was in June 1958.

"I was on guard duty and heard all this firing, all hell broke lose around the camp.''

The next morning all was revealed when his company brought back the body of a CT shot during an ambush for identification, he says.

Conversely, New Zealand casualties were few and confined to soldiers that could easily be isolated by the enemy.

"One of our dog handlers got killed.''

He returned home after two years to find most people were ignorant to why he had gone.

"It wasn't in the news.''

- The Southland Times


Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content