Highway home gets demolished

GILLIAN WONG
Last updated 08:33 03/12/2012
Reuters

A five-storey home in the middle of a road in eastern China is demolished when its owner finally agrees to sell his "nail house".

Relevant offers

World news

Officer steals helicopter, fires shots and throws grenades on Venezuelan government buildings NZ-trained surgeon dies four weeks after alleged one-punch assualt Serial conwoman who posed as Sydney foster child received $20k of government services China launches new class of naval destroyer to boost military strength Mum shares son's huge medical bill in response to US healthcare debate UK prosecutors charge six people over 1989 Hillsborough disaster that killed 96 Maori TV to screen controversial brownface comedy Jonah From Tonga Sydney Opera House sails to light up every sunset with Indigenous art Donald Trump growing frustrated with China, weighs trade actions Unicef NZ: Climate change and preparing for the coming storm

Authorities have demolished a five-storey home that stood incongruously in the middle of a new main road and had become the latest symbol of resistance by Chinese homeowners against officials accused of offering unfair compensation.

Xiayangzhang village chief Chen Xuecai said the house was bulldozed over the weekend after its owners, duck farmer Luo Baogen and his wife, agreed to accept compensation of 260,000 yuan (NZ$50,000).

The couple had been the lone holdouts from a neighbourhood that was demolished to make way for the main thoroughfare heading to a newly built railway station on the outskirts of the city of Wenling in Zhejiang province.

The razing comes a week after images of the house circulated widely online in China, triggering a flurry of domestic and foreign media reports about the latest "nail house," as buildings that remain standing as their owners resist development are called.

Luo, 67, had just completed his house at a cost of about 600,000 yuan (NZ$115,700) when the government approached him with their standard offer of 220,000 (NZ$42,600) to move out — which he refused, Chen has previously said. The offer then went up to 260,000 yuan (NZ$50,000) last week.

It was not immediately clear why Luo accepted the compensation in a meeting with officials Friday afternoon when the amount of money offered was the same as a week ago.

Village chief Chen said Luo was tired of all the media attention and voluntarily consented to the deal. "Luo Baogen received dozens of people from the media every day and his house stands in the center of the road. So he decided to demolish the house," Chen said.

Authorities commonly pressure residents to agree to make way for development with sometimes extreme measures, such as cutting off utilities or moving in to demolish when residents are out for the day. In Luo's case, however, he had told local reporters last week his electricity and water were still flowing.

Real estate is one of the big drivers of China's runaway growth in recent decades. But the rapid development has run into objections from many of the hundreds of thousands of residents who have been forced out to make way for new housing, factories and other business ventures, creating a major source of unrest.

Ad Feedback

- AP

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content